RWTH Aachen University uses a online application portal.
You need to register and create an account first and then proceed with the application.
RWTH switched to a new system end of 2017, please make sure NOT to USE THE OLD SYSTEM!
German applicants should check the Zugangsvoraussetzungen fuer den Master page and then follow up to the Bewerbung page.
There is also a Youtube Video on how to apply.
Studies only begin in winter term, i.e., in October.
Deadline is always 1st of March in the same year.
Also see the pages Application Deadlines for International Applicants at the International Office.
Formal entrance requirements
A candidate should have a first degree (Bachelor of Science or Engineering) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics, or other closely related discipline, awarded by an internationally recognised university-level institution. Candidates should have also performed above average in their undergraduate studies, and be able to speak and write fluently in English (TOEFL 550/217 computer-based). See English Language Requirements for RWTH Master Programmes for further information.
You'll need to have a minimum GPA of 65% in your first degree for application.
The formal requirements are checked for by the International Office. If you have questions regarding these, please inquire at International Office directly!
Special entrance requirements
The candidate should have a substantial background in computer science and mathematics. Typically this would include courses in the following areas:
- Calculus, (e.g. BSInf-131)
- Discrete Mathematics, (e.g. BSInf-132)
- Linear Algebra, (e.g. BSInf-231)
- Probability Theory, (e.g. BSInf-232)
- Numerical Computations, (e.g. BSInf-331)
- Computer Architecture, (e.g. BSInf-111 and BSInf-211 )
- Fundamentals of Computer Programming, (e.g. BSInf-101 and e.g. BSInf-311)
- Programming Languages,
- Software Engineering,
- Data Structures and Algorithms, (e.g. BSInf-201)
- Analysis of Algorithms, (e.g. BSInf-321)
- Automata Theory and Formal Languages, (e.g. BSInf-221)
- Computability and Complexity Theory, (e.g. BSInf-321)
- Mathematical Logic. (e.g. BSInf-421)
For general conditions of admission see Admission to RWTH Master Programmes.
Results of admission will be available not before May of the corresponding year.
Application Master for Internationals
You must always apply for a study placement in a Master's course of study. In addition to German language courses of study, RWTH Aachen also offers English language courses of study.
Application for a German or English Language Master's Course of Study
The application period for summer semester 2018 begins December 4, 2017. As an application from a country outside of the EU/EEA, you can also already apply for the 2018/2019 winter semester.
You must first check when the application deadlines are. Applications are only accepted during a certain period and are not accepted outside this period.
The first step to applying is making sure you have all of your necessary documents as PDFs. A list of the documents needs is available below.
As soon as you have PDFs of all the necessary documents, fill out the online application form. The link to the online application form will be provided here beginning December 6.
The following documents are needed to apply and must be uploaded as PDFs at the end of your application:
- Tabular resume
- Copy of transcript of records, and if possible, the module descriptions, also called a diploma supplement. Please submit a transcript of records with all of the completed semesters until now. At the time of application, you should be able to submit your transcript of records for all except your last two semesters of study.
- If you already have a degree: copy of university completion certificate
- If you have already taken the exam: copy of language certificate
- Additional documents required by the examination board of your Master's course of study.
- Please read the webpages for your chosen course of study to find out if you need to submit additional documents, such as a GRE scores.
Translation of Your Documents
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. The copies do not need to be notarized. Please note that in such cases, the copy of the translation or the copy of the original alone is insufficient. Make sure to upload both!
Deadlines for Applicants from Non-EU/EEA Countries
|Subject||Application Deadline for the Winter Semester||Application Deadline for the Summer Semester|
|restricted admission (NC)|
If you are currently enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen (for example as an exchange student or in a German course with a student ID number), the deadline is July 15 for the winter semester and January 15 for the summer semester. These application deadlines also apply to applicants, who already have a German university degree.
Deadlines for Applicants from EU/EEA Countries
|Subject||Application Deadline for the Winter Semester||Application Deadline for theSommer Semester|
restricted admission (NC)
These are final deadlines, meaning applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted. You can submit additional documents after you apply up to August 15 when applying for a restricted-admission Master's course of study for the winter semester and up to February 15 for applications for the summer semester. There is no deadline for submitting additional documents when applying for open admission courses of study. The documents submitted by January 15 for applications for the summer semester and by July 15 for applications for the winter semester form the foundation for the review of your educational background qualification. It is not necessary to have already completed your Bachelor's studies to apply for a Master's program.